Accessible home design - flooring question

by Brenda

In building a home for an elderly person what would be the maximum acceptable height for the change in level between two rooms in order to avoid a tripping hazard?

I am aware that it is possible to 'get used to' level changes up to 40mm, but worry about the number of broken arms (or worse) whilst getting used - and what about visitors?

The case in question will be between vinyl in the utility room and a thick layer of tiling, plywood and screed in the kitchen.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Taking Care of Elderly Parents.